CHRISTMAS CAKE WITH WALNUTS AND CHOCOLATE GANACHE
Second week of December and it’s time we dust off our Frank Sinatra vinyl records and festive lists we’ve been compiling all autumn! It’s that time of the year when every single spot in our houses is decorated with fairy lights and colourful garlands sprinkled with golden glitter converting our home into a winter wonderland … Our socks are invaded by snowmen and Santa’s reindeer, our living rooms are full of shiny paper and scarlet ribbons ready to wrap around presents and our carpets are carrying hot chocolate stains!
It’s that time when our board games are coming out of their hiding spot and friends gather around playing Monopoly and Scrabble over a glass of mulled wine brimming with Christmassy spice. Time on our fluffy sofa is endless and Christmas movies are playing on the repeat mode. Because, you know, there are those of us who love staying at home and can’t wait for Christmas not to go out and mingle in the crowd but to organize the most beautiful dinner party for our most beloved ones and fill our bellies with delicious festive yummies and then fall asleep under our warm duvet.
And if something seems to be missing from the sweetest glitter-atmosphere and holiday cheer and warm ambience it is no more than a chocolate mouth-watering walnut cake! The one I’m presenting you today is a little different to the traditional Greek karidopita and a little lighter as there is no syrup and fewer eggs. It looks like a cake and is a little moist in the centre. It is a must for the Christmas table and is best served with tea and a blanket on purring December afternoons.
Try it out and enjoy its fluffy rich flavour!
Merry Christmas everyone! May Christmas celebrations be hearty and bright for each and every one of you!
- 120g All purpose flour, sifted
- 4 eggs, in room temperature
- 300g Sugar
- 300g Butter (150 fresh butter + 150 margarine)
- 1 leveled tsp cloves, grounded
- 1 full tsp cinnamon, grounded
- 230g Walnuts, chopped and made into powder
- Zest of 1 orange, unwaxed
- 250g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp honey
- 250g full fat cream
- Butter and flour a 24cm cake tin and preheat the oven at 180 °C.
- With an electric mixer, whisk together the eggs and sugar until fluffy and pale in color. Melt the butter and add it to the mixture. Pour the flour slowly, cinnamon and cloves, mixing well with a rubber spatula.
- When the ingredients are fully incorporated into the mixture, add the walnuts and the zest of the orange and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes (we want the cake to be moist in the center). Let it cool before
- Pour the chopped chocolate into a bowl and add the honey.
- In a saucepan, heat the cream over a medium-high heat. Right before it boils, remove from the fire and pour into the chocolate bowl. Wait for a few seconds until the chocolate softens up and then mix well until it is fully melted. Pour over the cake when still warm.