The recipe to the most beautiful Christmas has still not been found but some of its ingredients are already known! Beautiful family moments at home, a fireplace, presents in pretty packages and sweet smells that make us feel like kids writing a letter to Santa Claus.
Is there anyone who doesn’t long for Christmas? Sending cards to our beloved ones, Christmas lights warming our houses and freshly baked goodies right out of our oven. More than anything else however, we should not forget that the most beautiful Christmas are those we ourselves make using cherished memories and sugary delicacies made by us all wrapped in gold dusted paper and offered to the ones we love the most…
Instead of traditional sweets that you make every year, I suggest you make something different this time. These Christmas cookies with ginger & honey we’ll be making today are so tasty and sweet-smelling that they are the perfect partner to your morning coffee! You can even leave some for Santa Claus to eat when he arrives at your place or for the most creative of you hang them on your Christmas tree!
The recipe is so easy you can even do it with your kids! Just don’t forget to put on your elf hats before you start!
- 385 gr. of all purpose flour
- 2 tsp of ground ginger
- 2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- ½ tsp of ground cloves
- ½ tsp of salt
- 340 gr. of unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 205 gr. of brown sugar
- 55 gr. of honey
- 1 egg
- 500 gr. of confectioner sugar
- 3 egg whites
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and ground cloves together and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and honey for 1-2 minutes or until very smooth and creamy. Add the egg and mix to incorporate.
- Add the dry ingredients in the second bowl and mix everything together until a sticky dough forms.
- Dump dough onto a well floured board and just knead it enough to form a ball.
- Cut the dough in 3 pieces and wrap each piece in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-11/2 hour or until firm.
- After your dough is firm enough take it out of the refrigerator and set aside in room temperature for 3-5 minutes so that it is easy to work on. (Use 2 large pieces of parchment paper to lay the dough on them so that it doesn’t stick on your counter).
- Place the first piece of parchment paper on your counter, dust generously with flour and put one piece of the dough in the center. Dust the top of the dough with flour and place the second piece of parchment paper on top. Using a rolling pin roll it out until the dough is about ½ cm thick.
- Using a cookie cutter in the shape you like, dip it in some flour and cut out your shapes.
- When you have finished cutting your cookies, collect the remaining dough and roll it out again between the two pieces of parchment paper.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 C for 7-10 minutes or until they turn a golden colour
- Your cookies are going to be soft when you take them out of the oven but will become crispy once completely cool.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add the egg whites and beat on medium speed until frothy.
- Decrease the speed to low and slowly add the sugar. Increase the speed to medium high and whisk for about 2 to 3 minutes or until the icing is smooth, shiny and thick.
- Place in a piping bag and decorate your cookies any way you like!
- After your cookies have completely cooled and the icing is firm on them, you can hang them on colourful ribbons and decorate your Christmas tree or wrap them in transparent paper with ribbons and offer them to the ones you love like I did!
- Good Luck and Merry Christmas!